2013年7月30日星期二

Memories of Tom Cheek

The many tributes have poured in for Blue Jays radio play-by-play man Tom Cheek, who passed away far too soon, Oct. 9, 2005 at the age of 66. On Sunday, Cheek was welcomed to Cooperstown as winner of the annual Ford C. Frick Award for broadcast excellence.His wife Shirley, a native of the Eastern Townships in Quebec, delivered a moving speech in Cooperstown on Saturday that would have made Tom proud. She ended with these touching words, a tribute to her husband’s iconic walkoff call in Game 6 of the ’93 World Series. 

I was a 21-year-old assistant in Expos’ public relations when I first met Tom, filling in for Dave Van Horne on Wednesdays at old Jarry Park, driving up from his Vermont home whenever Canada’s other Frick Award winner was on television with the Expos’ game of the week. After two seasons pinch-hitting for the best, the Blue Jays entered play in the American League. Tom was their choice to be lead man in the radio booth, emerging with his own understated style, built on a clear love of the game. Canadian fans in Montreal and Toronto have been blessed with two radio Hall of Famers. 

When I journeyed down the 401 from Montreal in 1995 to begin with the Star, Tom was one of the first to welcome me and offer his help with anything that I needed. He sincerely respected the print media and made sure that whether he liked what you wrote, whether he disagreed or not, he would never shy away, never be reluctant to be seen talking to even the most out-of-favour writers. 

Cheek was confident in his own ability, confident in his knowledge of the game and in his ability to share it with his listeners; confident in his love of family, which began with his wife Shirley, his children and grandchildren. Those feelings easily extended to his Blue Jays family as well. 

There was a turning point in my relationship with Tom Cheek that began the first time that we played golf together as part of a Howie Starkman foursome in the Blue Jays’ charity tournament in the late ’90s. If I loved golf and I loved baseball then I could be Tom’s friend. 

Every spring thereafter, I would make sure my golf clubs remained in the trunk of my rental car and if Tom came to Mattick or Grant Field for one of his frequent visits before games started, he would catch my eye, just waggle his hands in the universal sign language of all golfers and I would call the office and tell them I was taking that day off. We would hit the links. 

His money game was called “Wolf” and he would organize the foursomes, the teams and do a play-by play after every drive, updating the options in his familiar baritone, lending a Fifth-Major air, an absurd importance to the moment, to the point sometimes you just had to laugh. Tom was the best. 

My favourite round of golf with Tom was showing up at the first tee in Dunedin and the other two golfers in the group were Galen Cisco and J.P. Ricciardi, Sr. It was at a time when J.P. Junior was the GM and basically not talking to me. His dad was charming and competent with the clubs and we had a great day. I imagined him getting home and telling his son what a great golf companion that Griffin guy was. Tom was the best. 

There was another time that we were just a threesome and hooked up on the third tee with a young hotshot playing by himself. The 30-something stud (young is a relative thing) strutted about and bragged about his golf game and how far he could hit the ball and his handicap and how much his friends admired him. Very quietly as we reached the tee of a par four dogleg left, Tom said “I’ll bet my friend can outdrive you.” I looked around quickly and Tom was looking at me. He smiled. 

The kid looked as worried as Tom seemed confident and with a modest 10 bucks or something like that on the line, the kid cranked one down the middle turning left and bounding for an extra 20 yards. My turn.Now it's possible to create a tiny replica of Fluffy in handsfreeaccess form for your office. I teed it high and let it fly majestic and accurate. The drive headed for the white speck in the middle and you could throw a blanket over the two balls. Too close to call. When we walked down to check it out, the kid had me by about a foot. I apologized to Tom, but after he paid the guy off, he had a huge grin and said, “Thanks. It was worth it, Richard.” Tom was the best. 

I remember being in Oakland four hours before a game in 2004 and seeing Tom alone in the broadcast booth, head slumped forward looking as sad as I had ever seen. I thought he must be sick. I checked in with him and it was the day his father had died. That was what broke his consecutive games streak as he flew home to be with his family. It was later that his own problems started that ended his life prematurely on Oct. 9, 2005. But despite being ill, he soldiered on whenever he was able.Design and order your own custom rfidtag with personalized message and artwork. 

I remember the saddest I was with Tom. It was spring training of 2005 and the Jays were on radio from Dunedin Stadium. The producer of the radio broadcasts, one of Tom’s closest friends, Bruce Brenner came into the press box and looked distraught. He asked could I go on with Tom and talk baseball for 15 minutes. He was having trouble focusing and was alone in the booth.Get the led fog lamp products information, find oilpaintingreproduction, manufacturers on the hot channel. Gladly I went over and Tom and I chatted Blue Jays baseball for 15 minutes and we carried it off. But it was the last time I ever was in the booth with Tom Cheek. By the start of the post-season in ’05, he was gone. 

The lowlight came Monday as Johnson was thrashed and the Jays made five errors while going through the motions in a 14-5 loss. It was embarrassing and the players knew it was a low point, calling a team meeting Tuesday afternoon,Get the led fog lamp products information, find oilpaintingreproduction, manufacturers on the hot channel. keeping the clubhouse closed for 70 minutes. 

The result on Tuesday was a better effort, but another loss. The Jays carried an 8-3 lead into the seventh, but for one of the rare and forgivable times, the bullpen collapsed. First it was Brett Cecil allowing three in the seventh and then the veteran Darren Oliver with a three-run blast by Adrian Gonzalez and a solo blast by Andre Ethier. The Jays scored one and left the winning run at first. 

On Wednesday, the Jays blew another lead and got a good look at the rookie talent that is Yasiel Puig. With Puig at first and Casey Janssen having two outs, with a one-run lead in the ninth,A cleaningservic resembles a credit card in size and shape. Ethier looped a single to centre. With Puig running on the pitch, Colby Rasmus was aggressive and the high-hop glanced off his glove allowing the rookie to tie the score. The Dodgers scored five in the 10th.
Click on their website http://austpay.com/.

没有评论:

发表评论