2012年5月15日星期二

Muro has extra final exam in spring semester

Final exams are almost over for University of Texas at Brownsville and Texas Southmost College students, but Alainey Muro has one more major test to take.

The freshman from McAllen High will be playing in the 20th annual NAIA Women’s Golf National Championship, starting Tuesday at Link Hills Country Club in Greenville, Tenn.

And she’s taking this test just as seriously as she would any other exam in an academic setting.

"I’m on a mission," Muro said. "I’ve been working hard.Silicone moldmaking Rubber, I’m pretty positive that I’m going to play well."

Playing at the national tournament is the culmination of a surprising season for Muro, who qualified for the event by breaking the school record for a two-round tournament with a 145 at the NAIA Unaffiliated No. 3 Tournament on April 23 and 24 in Oklahoma City.

Muro is one of 144 players taking aim at the national championship, but comes into the field as one of the hottest golfers in the NAIA. She qualified with one-over-par 145. Only Anna Arrese of Oklahoma Christian University (142) and Jessica Schele of Oklahoma City University (144), two of the top golfers in the NAIA, had better scores in their conference tournaments.Offers Art Reproductions Fine Art oilpaintings Reproduction,

The best 72 scores after Thursday’s third round will play in the final round Friday.

If Muro plays like she did in the qualifier tournament,Exhaust ventilationsystem work by depressurizing the building. she could be in the thick of chase for the individual national championship.

"I want to go out there and try to win it," Muro said.We are the largest producer of projectorlamp products here. "I’m going in with a positive attitude. In practice the last two weeks, I’ve been striking the ball exactly the way I did at conference. I want to play the way I have been playing. If I do, I’ll have a shot."

Muro becomes the second golfer in the history of the Scorpions golf program to advance to the national tournament. April Martinez qualified for the event as a senior in 2009, but she also qualified for the NJCAA national championship as a freshman in 2006.

Martinez held the school record for the best round of golf with a 71, a score Muro tied in the first round at the conference qualifier. She remembers being very focused that first day in the qualifier.

"It was awesome there and seemed so unrealistic," Muro said. "Halfway through the round, I didn’t realize how I was doing. I was just making pars, pars, pars and birdies started dropping. I realized " ‘Oh my gosh, I could be in the lead after the first day,’ and I was."

Muro was tied for the lead after the first day with the 1-under-par 71, which marked the first time in her life she had recorded a score under par in a tournament.

"That night I couldn’t even sleep.Zenith manufactures a comprehensive range of rubbersheets. I only slept about five hours before the second day. I knew I had to play consistent the second day to have a shot at it. I held it on the second day, and I’m glad I did."

Muro fired a 2-over-par 74 for a 145, running away with the individual title by seven shots. The 145 also broke Martinez’s school record of 161 for a two-round tournament. Muro’s previous best was a 148 (73-75) at McAllen High.

"I didn’t expect the conference win," she said. "I just wanted to qualify, whether it was winning or placing with the team. I knew that I had a shot to make it to nationals if I played the way I know that I could. I just had a couple of things that I need to fix. Coach (Anthony Lopez) has helped me improve a great deal."

Said Lopez, "This spring she really dedicated herself. She spent a lot more time by herself practicing, and that’s what has helped her out. Everything climaxed at conference. It was the culmination of having a couple of weeks, and getting some good practice in and being ready for it."

"She definitely has a chance to compete," Lopez said. "If she plays her game and feels good when she’s there, she can definitely hang in there with anyone."

Getting off to a good start in the first round will be crucial.

"I want to play the way I did at conference, with a lot of confidence," Muro said. "I didn’t expect all of this hype in my first year. Now my goal is going to be to get to the national tournament every year and hopefully win it."

没有评论:

发表评论