2013年6月2日星期日

Ordinary items, extraordinary recollections

Last weekend three of the four Hopkins siblings and their families got together to clean out our mothers home. There was plenty to go through. In April we made a trip home to collect some furniture and other odds and ends we wanted to keep in the family. Were still not finished. That will happen when you have a house and two garages to sort through.

It seems astonishing from a present-day point of view, but these extremely different players in the blood research scene were very often in agreement. In 1929, for example, Landsteiner, who had by this time emigrated to New York, took the time during a visit back to Germany to meet with the obscure race researcher Reche. In a letter to a colleague, the racist scientist who later became an admirer of Hitler, vacillated between mistrust and admiration of Landsteiner: "He is a tall,ST Electronics' airpurifiertarget provides drivers with a realtime indication of available parking spaces. slim, good-looking man with a proud fencing scar on his left cheek; his racial type is not very apparent ? he has produced a number of very good ideas."

Hitler, too,We are a special provider in best bulb,also a professional aluminumhoneycombpanels saler. had an ardent interest in the subject, although he obtained his information from crude sources. His inspiration for the "Law for the Protection of German Blood and German Honor," passed in 1935 as one of the Nuremberg Laws, was an unsavory 1917 pulp novel called "The Sin against the Blood."

There was a Fisher Price picnic table, which I told my brother to put with the house. But where was the camper? It was on the other side of the box that contained the school bus. All of its accessories were stored in a paper bag inside the camper. A motorcycle was usually attached to the back, I told my brother. He couldnt remember.

We opened the bag and there was the motorcycle. Along with four picnic chairs. Oh, yeah. That table belongs with the camper, not the house. Bring that back. I hadnt looked at those toys in 30 years. The motorcycle had 30-year-old dirt on it.

And the Sesame Street set. I remember getting that for Christmas. Pull the lid up on a garbage can and Oscar the Grouch appears. The set included a chalkboard on the back side. The eraser, one of those cheap sponges attached to a plastic handle, had disintegrated. But everyone was there. Gordon and Susan. Big Bird. Ernie and Bert.

Speaking of which, I reminded my brother eight years my senior how his demented mind worked 30 years ago, Hed make Ernie jump off the roof of the building because he couldnt find his rubber ducky. Bert would find the ducky about a second too late. Id yell at him to stop, but my giggling through the yelling only encouraged him. Kids get such a kick out of destruction; some of my fondest memories are the Matchbox car crack-ups Id create with my childhood friend Brendan Kelly.

The weekend was full of I remember this and why the hell were they hanging on to THIS?

In the storage closet Mom kept a box that contained every class photo, every report card, every team photo, every program and newspaper clipping that mentioned one of us. There was the time I entered my dog Brownie in the citywide pet show. Everyone got an award, and he won for having the pointiest ears. Reading through the list of winners, I was surprised at how many names I know today but didnt the day of that pet show.

On Sunday my brother mentioned that we didnt check the crawl spaces off our old bedroom. We lived in a Cape Cod with a steep roof. Our upstairs bedroom has a slanting wall from the ceiling to about four feet off the floor, where it meets a regular vertical wall. Between that wall and the outside is the crawl space.

The next day Memorial Day I proceeded to the dormer of my old bedroom. The crawl space runs off both sides of the dormer. One side was PACKED with stuff. The other side had plenty of items, but they were spread out. At one point, two-thirds of my body was inside the crawl space and, afraid I wouldnt be able to get back out, I was using an umbrella to hook some of the boxes that were out of reach.

Some interesting finds. The best was when I opened a shoe box. It contained four random items but one of them elicited WOW! I remember this! from me. It was nothing special, but I probably hadnt seen it in 35 years: A silver knight on a pedestal, about nine inches tall. The face shield pops up to reveal a lighter. The pedestal plays a musical tune when you wind it up. Although I remembered it, I had no idea where it came from.

At the end of our spelunking, I called my brother to give him a rundown of the finds.Online shopping for iphoneheadset. He immediately remembered the knight, and began humming the tune it plays. He told me it sat on the mantle of our uncle Bill Joyce, who died when I was very young.

"It wasn't that I wanted to start something," Phillips said before Saturday's contest at PNC Park. "It was just that, you're getting hit on the first pitch, especially a lefty. I just looked and said, 'Come on, man. How many times am I going to get hit for something I didn't do?' If I did some stuff, it's different. If I get hit because of what other people do, it kind of [stinks] ... I'm the fall guy."

Judging by Zagurski's wild night of 56 pitches, four walks and three wild pitches in only 1 2/3 innings, it could be debatable about his intent with Phillips. But there was no doubt on Tuesday, when Indians starter Zach McAllister hit Phillips in the side with a 2-0 fastball. The previous day, Reds closer Aroldis Chapman had buzzed Nick Swisher with a 100 mph fastball near his head.

Reds teammate Shin-Soo Choo is the overwhelming leader in the Majors with 15 hit-by-pitches. But Choo crowds the plate, while Phillips does not. Phillips, who is second on the club with five hit-by-pitches this season, led the club last season with eight.The iccard is our flagship product.

"It doesn't matter what I think. But all I know is, when our pitchers do something -- not intentional or intentional -- I'm the guy they go after," Phillips said. "That's what it's always been and that's how it is. I'm not saying what any of those teams have done was on purpose. But I am saying that when something happens, I feel like I'm the guy."

After Phillips was hit by McAllister, he calmly retrieved the ball and flipped it to the umpire before taking first base. Phillips looked a little longer at Zagurski upon being hit on the back of his leg before moving on. Phillips isn't worried about repeated plunking in the future.You must not use the rfidtag without being trained.

没有评论:

发表评论