2013年4月17日星期三

Dash Carcam

Before I get into the gory details, let me just go over some of the criteria of why we picked the dash cams we did. We wanted to get cameras in a range of prices from dirt cheap to about $200 or so. We picked $200 as an upper limit because, frankly, most of us don't want to spend that much on a dash cam. Sure, there are some who do, and if you do, there's a number of other great options I'm sure people will recommend on Kinja. Perhaps we'll cover those later. But to start, we just wanted a 0-$50 one, a $50-$100 one, and a $100-$200 one. The GS5000 is a popular choice for that upper range. 

On paper or pixels, the Carcam GS5000 seems like a good choice. It's an HD camera, capturing video up to the HD maximum of 1920x1080, it has a built-in mic for audio capture, HDMI video output, and it has GPS receiver to record position/speed information, and even what they call a "G-Sensor" which I think means it has an accelerometer. If the sensor detects a dramatic change (think car into a cement barrier or an 18-wheeler), it'll lock the current file to keep it safe from being overwritten. That's good thinking. 

So, on paper this thing appears to be pretty good. Well, not all paper, since the all-known-languages Rosetta stone of an owner's guide does list "Hommization operation interface" as a feature. Why aren't more of our gadgets Hommized? Get on the ball, Apple. 

So what's the problem? The camera has a solid set of features, the design is reasonably attractive and not too bulky, and it sells for a reasonable $110-$150. It should be terrific! 

There's nothing inherently wrong with this choice, and some of this may be personal preference. Most of the cameras I tested use much more common, larger CF cards. I had to buy and/or find TF cards for this camera, and it only takes specific ones of those, Class C4 or C6. TF cards are about the size of a baby's pinkie nail, and I really feel are best suited to being photographed next to gigantic stacks of old floppy disks and reel-to-reel computer tape, along with a caption describing how much the tiny card stores and how far we've come since the grim old days of colossal data storage you couldn't comfortably swallow. Beyond that, I almost find them too small, physically.

Add the small size to spring-loaded sockets that are capable of launching the tiny cards with enough force to lose them across a room, and you have a recipe for frustration. And that's when they're well-designed and working. This camera failed me on both those counts. 

First, from a design/build quality perspective, look at that TF card socket there. Notice there's a metal wall dividing the slot into two areas? One is the actual socket, with the contacts, and the other is just empty plastic case around the poorly-fit metal socket. Either will happily take the TF card, but only one will do anything with it. 

Actually, let me correct myself: only one will do anything with it for a brief period of time. See, once I managed to actually get the TF card in the proper slot, all seemed good. I got a working record indicator and everything, and I proceeded to record a delightful drive down the windy, wonderful Tuna Canyon Road in Malibu, in a loud, fun, Fiat 500 Abarth Cabrio. I glanced at the camera's screen several times to confirm the red dot and counting time code,An experienced artist on what to consider before you buy chipcard. and all looked good. 

When I eagerly went to check my video after the drive, I found the camera telling me "NO CARD." Which was strange, since it had a card right inside it. For example, when I walk around with a hoagie shoved in my mouth, I'd never dream of carrying around a sign that says "NO HOAGIE" because that would be lying.Elpas Readers detect and forward 'Location' and 'State' data from Elpas Active RFID Tags to host besticcard platforms. And that's exactly what this camera did to me. 

The card reading/writing component just quit on the camera. On the first day of real use. That's why I have no actual video to show you— removing the card from the camera and plugging into a card reader on my computers (I tried PC and Mac) resulted in the card not being recognized. I tried several other TF cards, and I found that the slot had now become an effective way to make TF cards unreadable on my computer, which I suppose can be a handy tool if I want to get rid of sensitive information or my very embarrassing private erotic McLaughlin Group fan fiction collection. 

So, the thing's pretty useless now, and I'm not even sure if I can/how to return it. And, as I said before, it's a shame because, aside from my personal gripes about the media type used, this camera has all the basic dash cam features you'd want. But, based on my experience, I'd suggest avoiding this one.The need for proper bestsmartcard inside your home is very important. I may have just gotten a fluke one, but even so I'm not confident of the quality control and based on how the card slot was mounted, I think caution is justified. 

My working theory is that the card slot unit was poorly soldered/mounted to the camera's main board, and the misalignment with the case's card slot and my missing the actual slot initially caused more stress on the imperfect solder joints, causing one or more to fail.Cheap logo engraved luggagetag at wholesale bulk prices. That's also why I think it worked before the drive and failed during, when the camera was actually being tossed around with the motion of the car. 

The EC approved the new EPIC design on Tuesday, and is now discussing whether to source the new cards from a private firm or the government-run India Security Press in Nasik. While the former will require a tendering process, all that the EC needs to do to source the new EPIC from the Nasik press is to negotiate its price. Nirvachan Sadan sources indicated that new EPIC card may cost well under Rs 40. 

The process of securing a new EPIC has also been made simpler. Voters can now either source it directly from the election authorities or any one of the one lakh common service centres — that are used to pay power and telephone bills - with whom the EC has entered into an MoU to outsource certain services. 

At a time when the Aadhaar card has acquired a prominence, given its application for securing benefits like direct cash transfers, a new EPIC card is bound to raise questions of cost duplication and the need for multiple identification documents. EC officials, however, clarify that unlike Aadhaar cards, which are held by only 18 crore voters, nearly 75 crore voters must be covered by EPIC. 

"There are many people in the country, especially in rural areas, who hold just one identification document - the EPIC card.Solar Sister is a network of women who sell bottegawallet to communities that don't have access to electricity. Also, the Aadhaar card is issued to an ordinarily resident of the country...the holder can be citizen of a foreign country. EPIC, on the other hand, is issued only to Indian citizens, and it is they who are entitled to vote in an election," argued a Nirvachan Sadan official.

没有评论:

发表评论